-->

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Quinoa Burgers | Gluten Free



My good friend, Jenny, first introduced me to the amazing quinoa burger. I was on my way to pick up my daughter from school, and I stopped by her house where she ran out a plate of deliciousness to me. She is so awesome and gave me THREE burgers (I thought I was just getting a taste!). Sitting in car line, I had to stop myself from eating all 3 while waiting for school to let out. I knew I had to save some for my husband to try. I could live off of these things, they are so yummy. I've changed the original recipe a bit to make them gluten free. There are several variations of the recipe out there, but this is the one I always come back to.

I like to serve them on toasted flat bread or UDI's gluten free whole grain bread with a little Trader Joe's organic ketchup.

Here's the recipe :)

Yields about 6 patties/burgers.

1 cup cooked quinoa (see below for cooking instructions)
1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
1/4 cup cottage cheese
1 carrot, finely grated
1 egg
1 TBS gluten free flour (I use Trader Joe's gluten free flour mix)
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 packet of Stevia
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp ground cumin
pinch of salt

To cook quinoa: Rinse 1/2 cup quinoa VERY well. If not rinsed well, it will have a bitter taste. Add the rinsed quinoa and 1 cup of water to a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. When almost all of the water is absorbed, remove the lid and continue to cook on low until all water is absorbed.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. I find these cook best in a non-stick pan sprayed with Trader Joe's Coconut Oil spray over medium high heat. I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup, and drop the mixture into the pan, and flatten slightly to about 1/2 inch. I then cover the pan loosely with tin foil and let them cook 3-5 minutes before carefully flipping them. 

Enjoy!

Find me on Instagram and Facebook
:)



1 comment: