-->

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Natural light product photography and Christmas stockings


Confused by the title? Hopefully not for long! My mom and I run an Etsy shop, Little Buddy Designs, selling hand knit Christmas stockings. We've had the shop for 4 years. She knits the stockings, and I do the finishing work, photography for the listings and handle customer service. All year my mom knits stockings to build our inventory. She hands them over to me, and I prep them for sale. This is our busiest time of year. You might catch me in carline duplicate stitching names onto stockings ;). 

Here is an inside look at how I photograph them using natural light.

I use white seamless paper and lay it across my dining room table.
I set up in front of a window to get the most natural light.
I use a reflector to bounce the light back onto the stocking, so the lighting is even. I balance the reflector against our light fixture (you can see it in the mirror). I could also use my backdrop stand and hang the paper from it, but I find it quicker and easier to use my reflector. I make sure I'm not standing directly in front of the window when I'm photographing the stockings, so that I'm not blocking the light.
I lightly edit all of the photos by adjusting the white balance, adding brightness and adding contrast.  I do all of this in Adobe Camera Raw. The edit is subtle, as I find it important to get it right in camera.
Have an Etsy shop too? Make sure you're using the Etsy iPhone app - it makes a fun cash register sound whenever there's a sale!

4 comments:

  1. Jewellery-Photographer-Brisbane Discover how professional product photography can help improve your online sales. Hire our expert studio and see for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Product photography. Product color correction nice and seem to natural. Color Clipping in Uk edit product handmade and keep quality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’ve got some interesting points in this article. I would have never considered any of these if I didn’t come across this. Thanks!. Produktfotografie

    ReplyDelete